Yalding Manor Records
Yalding Manor Records ->>> https://blltly.com/2t7lIk
The papers described in this Summary Report were deposited in Leicestershire Record Office by the Rt Hon the Earl of Gainsborough in 1987, with additional deposits in 1990 and 1991. A catalogue of the whole collection has been compiled on slips, but neither the slips nor the records themselves are yet in their final arrangement.
The Noels were prominent Staffordshire gentry in the Middle Ages. The fortunes of the Rutland branch of the family were founded by Andrew Noel or Nowell, third son of James Noel of Hilcote (Staffordshire), who was granted the manor of Old Dalby, or Dalby-on-the-Wolds (Leicestershire), formerly a property of the Knights of St John, inc1544, and Perry Barr (Staffordshire) in 1546. Perry Barr was not a long-lived possession, and Dalby was sold, to the Earl of Buckingham, in 1617. But in 1548 Andrew Noel began the landed connection of the Noel family with Rutland when he purchased the manor of Brooke, a former monastic property south-west of Oakham. Andrew Noel died at Dalby in 1563, leaving his Leicestershire and Rutland estates to his second son, Sir Andrew Noel, who built a house at Brooke in the late sixteenth century and died there in 1607. He bought Langham (Rutland) in 1600.
Sir Andrew Noel had greatly strengthened his position in Rutland by marrying c1577 Mabel, sixth daughter of Sir James Harington of Exton. She is described in Burke'sPeerage as the heir of her brother, the first Baron Harington (d1613), but in fact no major landed property appears to have descended from her to the Noels, with the possible exception of the manor of Greetham (sold by the Noel family to the Marquess of Buckingham in 1623). The Noels did, however, benefit directly and indirectly from the break-up of the Harington estates, which were disposed of either shortly before or shortly after the death of the second Baron Harington in 1614. Ridlington was purchased in 1614 by Sir Edward Noel, son of Sir Andrew, who was created Baron Noel of Ridlington in 1617. Exton itself was purchased in 1613 by Sir Baptist Hicks, created Viscount Campden in 1628: on his death in 1629 it descended, with the viscountcy, to Lord Noel, who had married his elder daughter Julian in 1605.
Baptist Hicks was a Londoner of Gloucestershire yeoman origins who amassed a large fortune in trade, and acquired property in the City of London (St Lawrence Jewry), Middlesex (Campden House in Kensington 1609 and the manor of Hampstead 1620), Kent, Essex, Warwickshire, Cheshire, Yorkshire and elsewhere. His major purchase outside London was, however, the Chipping Campden estate in Gloucestershire, acquired in 1609. On his death the Chipping Campden and Exton estates (the last-named supplemented by the purchase of Whitwell in 1620), together with Campden House (Kensington) and Hampstead, passed to his elder daughter Lady Noel; and, at least in the case of Exton, the estate may well have been purchased with that descent in mind. Other estates (Ilmington (Warwickshire) and Cheltenham and Tewkesbury (Gloucestershire)) passed to Mary Morrison, another daughter and co-heir (and thence to the Capell family, Earls of Essex), whilst yet other properties appear to have been sold soon after 1629.
The third Earl of Gainsborough, who succeeded to the Exton, Chipping Campden and Middlesex estates in 1690, was Baptist Noel of North Luffenham, son of a younger son of the third Viscount Campden. North Luffenham, acquired by the second Viscount Campden in 1636, had been settled on a younger son: it was sold in 1729. Baptist Noel had also inherited the Cottesmore estate which, originally a Harington property, had been purchased in 1620 by Paul Ambrose (or Paulus Abrosius) Croke, and had since descended in the female line through the Heath and Fanshawe families. (Further records relating to the Heaths and Cottesmore may be found among the Willoughby de Broke papers in the British Library, Eg Ch 645-2116, Eg MSS 2978-3008, 3779, and Leicestershire Record Office, DG 8/69-146.)
MiddlesexSt Pancras 17th century, Finchley 17th-18th century, Fulham 18th century, Hackney 16th-18th century, Hampstead (lease of Hall 1631, sale of manor to Sir William Langhorne of Charlton 1707), Islington 16th-18th century, Kensington 16th-19th century, Stepney 17th century, Westminster (Edwards houses) 18th century, Marylebone (9 Cavendish Square: Gainsborough town house) 19th century.
Settlements 16th-19th century, mainly Noel and Edwards, including marriages of Andrew Noel and Mabel Harington 1576-7, Sir Edward Noel and Julian Hicks 1605, Edward Heath and Lucy Croke (of Cottesmore) 1630-1, Henry Noel and Susanna Howland 1637, Edward Noel and Lady Elizabeth Wriothesley 1661 (manor of Hampstead, etc), Mary Noel and the Earl of Northampton 1662-3, Viscount Campden and Katherine Greville 1686 (Titchfield (Hants) estate), Gerard Anne Edwards and Lady Jane Noel 1754, and other settlements 18th-19th century.
Sir Goddard's second wife, the mother of Mary, and mother-in-law of James Barham, had been formerly married to John Pelham, of the illustrious family of the Pelhams of Loughton, near Lewes, and possessed as her dower, the manor of Bivelham, which we will hear of again in connection with the Barhams of Wadhurst.
The marriage between James and Mary was not the first alliance between the Barhams and Oxenbridges, for a pedigree of the latter family records that Anne, daughter and heiress of Sir Thomas Oxenbridge (died 1512), married her second husband, Eustace Barham of Teston. I know nothing more of this Eustace.
Thomas Barham died in London on 21st February 1616-7, possessed of a considerable estate, the greater part of which was held of Sir Henry Baker of Sissinghurst, as of his manors at Teston, West Barming and Yalding, with150 acres of Woodland at Ditton held of the Royal Manor of Boxley. I have already mentioned that the manors acquired by Sir John Baker made him and his successors feudal overlords of the Teston family, but feudal ties were growing of less significance. Thomas Barham's estates were passed at his death to his daughter Anne. By his will he left small annuities to his two brothers - £30 per year upon lands at Yalding to James, who was buried at that village in 1630, and £20 per year to Henry. The will made no mention of any nephews, and it is probable that both James and Henry were without male heirs.
After the Conquest, the Lords of the Manor of Hunton were the monks of Christ Church Priory, Canterbury. Possession subsequently passed to mediaeval barons. The de Lenhams held Hunton, and in Henry III's reign took over the adjacent manor from John de Bensted. Later the family lacked a male heir; ownership passed to another prosperous family - de Clinton.
After the Reformation Hunton Court was given to Sir Thomas Wyatt, knighted and made High Sheriff of Kent by Henry VIII. (Sir Thomas apparently leased the manor to William Culpeper as mentioned by Fairfax Harrison, above.).
Land-owners often held a number of estates, and may have neglected some, or put in irresponsible tenants. Details of what happened are lacking, but the historian Hasted, writing towards the end of the 18th century, records that "the whole seat called Court-Lodge, near the church, has long been ruinated; but the site of it, as well as the moat which surrounded it, are still visible".
Buston, formerly Burston. was one of three ancient manors of Hunton. A large part of the farm estate became parkland about the time of Elizabeth I; but reverted to farmland in the first half of the 19th century.
In 1086, (Domesday Book). the Archbishop of Canterbury was lord of the manor. Later it was transferred to the family De Burston. About 1500 came the rise of the merchant class. Buston was acquired by Alderman Head of London.
The first Viscount Falmouth was made such in 1720. The family name is Boscawen, from the lordship of Boscawen Rose, Cornwall, whose manor has been their 's since the time of King John. the present Viscount is the 9th. His elder brother was killed in action in 1940.
Start this walk from Ightham Mote, a stunning medieval moated manor house, even in the crisp winter air. This circular walk begins with a wander through ancient Scathes Wood. Before taking in some wonderful views of the Kentish countryside on the way to the neighbouring estate of Fairlawne and on to Shipbourne. The walk is approx 3.5 miles long and should take you around 2 hours to complete. However, if you wish to stop off on route then be sure to check out The Chaser Inn in Shipbourne, a beautiful pub with stunning views set in the heart of the Kentish countryside. Offering a warm, friendly and relaxing atmosphere with open fires, a heated courtyard and a wonderful large garden. The nearest toilets and refreshments available at Ightham Mote. 2b1af7f3a8